What is a pedometer?
It is a small device, similar in size to a pager that counts the number of steps
you take. Some can measure distance travelled and calories used.
How does a pedometer work?
Inside is a small precision mechanism. Taking a step moves the mechanism. The
pedometer counts the number of times this movement is made.
How many steps should I take?
• Healthy adults should aim for
10 000 steps each day.
• Through daily activities, the average
person takes about 7000 steps.
• Ten minutes of exercise is about 1000 steps. By adding 30 minutes to your day may help you reach 10 000 steps.
• Remember, 30 minutes of exercise does not have to be done all at once. It can be spread over the day, such as in 3 lots of 10 minutes.
Where can I buy a pedometer?
Pedometers are available from various sports shops and health clubs. Prices start from around $30.You can check at AliExpress.com Product -Waterproof Pedometer V9 Smart Blood Pressure Monitor Heart.
• Setting goals can help you stay motivated and measure your success.
• It is good to measure the number of
steps you take in a day. Then, increase this by 1000 steps each week until you reach the goal of 10,000 steps.
• If your pedometer also measures distance, you may wish to increase your usual distance by one kilometre each week.
• Check out the ‘10 000 steps’ website.
It has lots of information, including a
place to record your steps each day. It has great ideas for school and workplace competitions.
• Keeping a record of your daily steps allows you to see your progress clearly.
• Things to measure include steps, distance, time and calories.
• ‘Be Active Walking Plans’ can be downloaded from the Heart Foundation website.